Welcome

I believe that history and heritage are valuable, and that gentility among people is still the "currency of the realm." I believe in the solid principles that have been passed down from generation to generation; that there is value in a man's word, that there is goodness in the hearts of all men, and that a knowledge of the woods, fields, lakes, rivers, oceans, and the creatures and crops we find there, makes us better stewards of God's amazing earth!

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Fall & Rustic Cornbread

Nothing signals fall to me like coming in from the field to a hot bowl of Chili and some homemade cornbread!  Now, we all have our preferences when it comes to both, but I thought I'd take a moment to share my favorite "sweet cornbread" recipe.  It's simple, it's quick and it's just right (for me.)  If you do try it, let me know if you like it...a true southern delight!

Ingredients

1 Cup Flour (sifted) if you don't have a sifter, use a wire egg-beater once it's in the bowl)
1 Cup yellow Corn Meal
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder

Combine all these dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.

1/2 stick butter - (melted)
2 eggs (beaten)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup sugar

Combine all these wet ingredients in a separate bowl

Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredient bowl...mix just until the dry ingredients become wet...no more than about 10 seconds.  Mix should still be lumpy.

Pour into either a non-stick pan or (as I like) a cast iron skillet.  Put into a 400 degree oven for ~25 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean from the center.

Again, hope that you get a chance to try this.  (I've also been known to add bacon, jalapeños, or dried raspberries/blueberries to the mixture to provide a great compliment to other items on the table.

Until Next Time!
D-

No comments:

Post a Comment